Engineering Manager (Platform)
Tray.io is ushering in the era of the automated organisation
We believe that any organisation can and should automate. With Tray.io, citizen automators throughout organisations can easily automate complex processes through a powerful, flexible platform, and can connect their entire cloud stack thanks to APIs. Today businesses like IBM, GitHub, Reddit, npm, Lyft, and Digital Ocean rely on Tray.io to connect and automate data flow between the tools they use every day. With Tray.io visual workflow builder our customers create automations to drive their business processes without writing a single line of code. Our challenge is to build a cutting-edge product that is powerful and complete while also being beautiful and easy to use.
You'll contribute directly to this mission with a team that fully supports you to do your best work. You'll join humble but fiercely ambitious people like yourself, who also take great pride in what they do, working in a culture built on friendship, transparency, and above all, looking out for one another. You'll have endless opportunities to learn and grow professionally in a fun, fast-paced, and open environment. Plus, you'll get to make your mark at a rapidly-growing company positioned to completely reinvent a multibillion-dollar industry.
"With Tray, we have a group of experts who can help us explore all the possibilities we haven’t even thought of yet.” - Mike Atwood, Executive Director, Client Success / Vox Media
“I can’t emphasize enough just how good the Tray folks are at what they do.” - David Dorman, Director of Growth and Demand / DigitalOcean
The Tray.io infrastructure processes millions of requests per day and is a mission-critical component of our customers' businesses. As an Engineer Manager working within the Platform teams at Tray.io, you’ll be part of a team responsible for designing, building and running the software and systems which underpin our large-scale, real-time, distributed infrastructure.
The Platform teams are responsible for providing a production environment where connectors integrations and automations can run reliably and at scale. This involves building the infrastructure and APIs that expose these services as well as dealing with compute providers, networking, storage, monitoring, logging, and security.
We’re looking for energetic, charismatic managers with a technical background to support and coach our engineers and help drive technical initiatives that improve our engineering practices. Software Engineers at Tray.io work in interdisciplinary squad teams arranged around a mission, with clear responsibilities and objectives. People are assigned to each squad according to its specific needs, and are trusted to independently ship according to their own roadmap.
As Engineering Manager, your focus will be on helping each member with their personal and professional development, listening, guiding them through hard times and celebrating their successes. You may also help drive technical initiatives in partnership with senior engineers across multiple teams, such as scalability, security, compliance, testing, accessibility or performance.
You will play a key role in helping shape the Tray Platform, so that our customers can successfully run integrations at scale, and ensuring our infrastructure is performant, robust and secure. That said, your primary role is to lead and develop your wonderful team - taking care of hiring, onboarding, mentoring, coaching, career development, and performance management.
We want to build a positive team culture where you're supporting colleagues and empowering them to grow as technical leaders and people. The work that you enable your team to deliver on time and to roadmap will ultimately have an impact on the vision of the Tray Platform itself.
- Supporting, coaching and developing high performing engineers through regular 1:1s, continuous feedback and relationships with team leads.
- Working closely with the talent team to attract and hire high potential team members from diverse backgrounds.
- Contributing to management best practices: helping us become an exceptional place to work for the ambitious, highly motivated people that we hire.
- Helping to build an engineering organisation that can make a success of rapid growth.
- Partnering with senior engineers to drive technical initiatives that improve our engineering practices.
- Partnering with tech leads and product managers to ensure delivery squads are properly staffed and able to be highly effective.
- Get involved in product decisions, and balancing technical requirements with customer needs.
- BS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 2+ years of growing and managing a team of 5 engineers or more.
- You are an agile enthusiast and help teams constantly improve and refine their working practices.
- Experience building & running large-scale, highly-available, distributed systems.
- Comfortable coding in at least one mainstream programming language (even if it is not one that we don’t use).
- A real passion for developing, mentoring and supporting people. You care deeply about helping others achieve their goals, avoid burnout, and become the best engineers they can be.
- Highly developed technical and people troubleshooting skills. You have an empathetic leadership style which allows you to build strong, effective relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Passionate about troubleshooting, debugging, and automation.
- Strong proficiency in distributed systems design and implementation
- Previous experience building IaaS or PaaS products.
- Excellent writing skills, with a portfolio of technical guides and employer branding pieces.
- You have worked with customers, both internal and external to deliver projects on time and budget.
Our current tech stack:
- PostgreSQL, Redis, ElasticSearch, Cassandra, Prometheus
- Docker, Terraform, Jenkins, Grafana
- AWS & Linux
Working at Tray.io offers many perks, but most importantly we are a talented team with a passion for the product we are building.
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Unrestricted holiday policy & work from home days
- Flexible working hours
- A fun and supportive working environment
- Top of the range equipment budget
- Drinks fridge & stocked kitchen
- Social events (team breakfasts/lunches, evenings out & trips)
- Employer contributory pension scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Private healthcare
- 50% off Virgin Active gym membership
Tray.io is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, colour, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.